Tuesday, September 19, 2006

**LanguageCorp Group (from the left): Phoebe, Michele, Pablo, Chi, Mike, Your's truly.**

So it seems that the nightlife in Shanghai improved itself last weekend. The last time I posted, I recall heavily complaining about the night scene in Shanghai; it seems it was solely due to us not knowing where to go and not the fault of Shanghai the city. We found this place called Barbarossa in People's Square in Puxi, which immediately became the official hang out spot for us on any Thursday/Friday/Saturday/Sunday evening. I befriended one of the DJs there, this guy named Rafee, he isnt Chinese and he also happens to be the Entertainment Manager for the entire establishment! Rafee is giving me a few mix CDs, and he also wanted me to design a couple flyers for him for a few club nights, in exchange for some VIP treatment in the place, networking at its finest.

Like ive recently learned, "It isn't about who you know, but who KNOWS you."

My classes have been quite stimulating for my teaching improvement, yet at times I feel that I can be a little hard on myself. It is my first time teaching, and if students don't entirely understand the unit in one lesson, it does not mean that i didn't teach them correctly. Despite the countless times i reassure myself of this, i fall into slight depression when i teach a lesson and only 70% of the class retained it; i can be a perfectionist at times...someone hit me.

The thoughts I have pondered in the last week or so have varied in importance day by day. Each night I catch myself gazing out of my window at the lights of Pudong in complete awe that I am on the opposite side of the world from all that I know and am familiar with. My parents have been so supportive of my endeavors; my mind is consistently at ease due to their unconditional foundational support. I am conflicted in my thoughts, on one end I feel secured in this position as a teacher. I am thankful that I came here with LanguageCorps and not on my own, I dont think I would have made it this far in China without them, thanks.

In contrast, I also feel alone...very alone. I continue to drown myself in thoughts of home, its not "home sickness" but more a yearning for wanting to just be apart of the crowd. I am sick of being a blatant spectacle in every situation; sticking out like a sore thumb can get annoying at times, especially when you just want to run to the store to get something to drink or eat. Walking down the street and getting the countless stares and herds of people trying to practice their English, its cute...but sometimes you want your alone time. So I find myself at times feeling alone, alone in that undescribable kind of way.

Wow overdramatic, but thats my description.

So I plan to fix this issue by being more active in the various activities of Shanghai. Be it a sports team, social life or another side job that is fun, there will be a remedy to this issue.

Until next time.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gah...so I wrote this whole speal and then lost it all...lets see if I can recap...
You have a way with words my friend...I kinda feel what you are saying about the being lonely...sometimes you feel the loneliest when standing in the midst of a crowd. And about the teaching thing...don't beat yourself up...think about how much you retained in class...you can't blame yourself...the students are also responsible on what they choose to absorb...you can only do your best and hope for the best for your students. Well buddy keep in touch...best of luck...your doing great I'm sure.

1:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home