Sunday, August 06, 2006















Well finally I find myself moderately settled in my month long apartment in Zhuhai for my TEFL training. After my training I will be able to take on a teaching job anywhere in China that has an opening. Ideally I am hoping to snag a job in Shanghai so I can live like a big time Expat and hopefully get some political contacts and network etc.

I would like to apologize for not contacting a few people before I left; the combination of a recent breakup of a 3 year relationship, packing, along with the daily stresses of someone about to leave home for so long brewed such actions on my part.

This last week that I have been here has been interesting. In the mornings, the other LanguageCorps Expats and I were in Chinese class from like 9-1 ish and then we would head out on various excursions. My personal favorite was the Underground Market of Zhuhai where everything is cheap and negotiable (my Dad would love this place). I picked up a Rolex (I still cant tell if its fake or not) for like 250 RMB. Good Times.

Food is amaizing here, and very cheap. Since the money is 7 to 1, it is quite easy to get a fulfilling meal for around 2 to 3 bucks. Instead of water and ice, you get tea and ridiculous amounts of it, not to mention we are in Zhuhai and its like 100 degrees outside at night with a cool breeze! But hey no complaints.

It has been difficult to adjust here, I get frequent stares as a black man in China. It is not hostile, more intrigued, especially since some of the people here literally have never seen someone that looks like me up close. So despite the slight annoyance, I am happy to show people that "American" is not solely "white" but American. The children are adorable here, they look at me with very curious expressions and generally when I give a smile and wave they light up with astonishment. The men dont really talk to me much, I get a laugh and point here and there, but they stay away. The women generally immediately attempt to practice their English with me. A "Hello how are you?" and then intense laughter, its a fun process.

My roomates are pretty cool, one guy is from Chicago and the other from Penn, so I lucked out to get two U.S. Expats in my crib. Unfortunately we dont have a toilet, we have a squatter...which is a hole in the ground...yes a hole in the ground; plus, this hole in the ground, is in the same exact room as the shower...which is very small...yes i never quite feel zest fully clean.

Then to top off my adventure, in the last 20 years Zhuhai has not had a level 3 Typhoon...Zhuhai decides to have a level 4 typhoon my 3rd day here! 3 people died in the city and it was quite horrific... but I am ok people thank God. But how lucky could I get to experience a Typhoon as soon as I get here! Oh the fun the traveler has...

I really miss the States, but I know this is what I have/need/want to do. I guess being a global player, you have to do some global time.

My TEFL class starts tomorrow morning, so I need to do my homework tonight, ugh I just graduated why on earth am I still doing work!!!!!


Ill post more often now that everything is set up... CYA



1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Holy Chinese Tenements Batman!!! Damn V.. Chinese Orange Soda.. Rock and Roll... I only want to hear 2 words out of your mouth.. Rolex.. and Widescreen TV. I'm coming to visit in a bit man!!

Eck

10:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home